Plans of the Property of William Forbes Esq. of Callendar, 1800-1817

 
decorative graphic

This volume contains 50 estate plans relating to the Earlstoun Estate, situated primarily in Dalry and Kells parishes in Kirkcudbrightshire, and Glencairn in Dumfries-shire. (There are also lands near Whitletts ("Sanquhar Lands"), to the north-east of Ayr). This estate was owned by William Forbes of Callendar (1756-1823), and the plans were surveyed by James Anderson, a civil engineer, architect and surveyor, based in Shandwick Place, Edinburgh. Anderson trained under James Jardine (1776-1858) and he superintended the work of James Knox. The plans were surveyed in 1800, and most were drafted in 1816-1817. The plans are ordered geographically in sections below, each prefaced by a title page and smaller scale overview map of the specific farms that follow as individual maps.

We are very grateful to the Dumfries Archival Mapping Project for scanning these maps.

Volume contents - Plans of the Property of William Forbes Esq. of Callendar

Title page and index


Kells and Dalry parishes


Dalry parish


Kells parish


Glencairn and St Quivox parishes