Town Plans / Views, 1580s-1940s

Map Detail
Name: German Army / Generalstab des Heeres  
Title: Stadtplan von Edinburgh mit Mil.-Geo.-Eintragungen.  
Imprint: [Berlin] : Generalstab des Heeres, 1941
Pagination: 1 map ; 660 x 953 mm.
Shelfmark: Map.l.24.60
Zoom Into Map:         Click on the map to view in greater detail.
Notes: This German military map of 1941 is overprinted with colour and symbols to pick out bombing targets in and around the city. These include railway stations, bus depots, hospitals, bridges, and a range of industrial targets, as well as the Old College and National Museum on Chambers Street (with a symbol denoting ‘art collection / cultural monument’). The West End and Gorgie were home to the greatest concentration of targets, including the power station in Dewar Place, a sawmill by Haymarket, an ironworks, a distillery, a brewery, and a biscuit factory, all of which were highlighted with special symbols. The accompanying 'Eintragungen' or listing on the reverse of the map numbered particular buildings.  

Copyright           Enquiries & Copies           Help