Ordnance Survey Maps - Six-inch England and Wales, 1842-1952
The most comprehensive, topographic mapping covering all of England and Wales from the 1840s to the 1950s. Two editions for all areas, and then regular updates in the 20th century for urban or rapidly changing areas.
Browse the maps:
- As individual sheets using a zoomable map of England and Wales
- As a seamless zoomable overlay layer (1888-1913) on modern Google and OS maps
- As a seamless zoomable layer (1888-1913) side-by-side with modern Google and OS maps
- By county – text lists
- Guide to abbreviations – alphabetical list of standard OS abbreviations
- Guide to symbols – OS Characteristics Sheet (1897)
- Characters of writing – OS Lettering Styles (1897)
- Conventional signs and writing – OS Symbols and Lettering (ca. 1923)
- List of counties, with their dates of survey, publication, and changes of meridian.
- Further information: