Copyright and reproducing map images from this website
- Non-commercial, educational or private use of images; or
- Commercial use of images
However, we do not have complete rights over all images on this website, so there are some
These terms are specific to our Map images website.
1. Non-commercial, educational and private use of map images
You are welcome to use most images displayed on the Maps website for non-commercial, educational and private purposes under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike (CC-BY-NC-SA) licence. This includes use in a free exhibition or lecture, or in a university thesis.
Use is conditional on provision of attribution. Please apply the credit line 'Reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland' wherever you re-use map images. If you create derivative work, the documentation of your work must contain this attribution.
For online publications, we request that your attribution includes a link to our Map images website.
2. Commercial use of map images
You must obtain written permission to reproduce or use our images commercially, whether in hard copy or electronic form. Depending on the purpose, there may be permission fees to pay. If you are unsure whether your use is commercial or non-commercial, or if you have other queries relating to reproduction, please see the Library’s permissions webpages or contact us.
Please note that our definitions of ‘commercial’ and ‘non-commercial’ re-use have changed since we originally agreed re-use terms with certain third parties. Therefore, some of the collections listed as Exceptions below are available under a more restrictive definition of’ commercial’ re-use. Please contact us for more information.
The terms above do not extend to:
- Any material which is identified as being the copyright of a third party. This includes modern map layers from Google, Bing, Ordnance Survey and OpenStreetMap used as backdrop layers in our geographic viewers. Authorisation to reproduce such material must be obtained from the copyright holders concerned.
- Any content that has separate licensing terms specified.
The following more general categories:
- Dumfries Archival Mapping Project estate maps. Please contact the Dumfries Archival Mapping project for permission to re-use these maps.
- Land Utilisation Survey, Scotland, 1931-35. Commercial use is prohibited.
- Macaulay / James Hutton Institute soil mapping. Please contact the James Hutton Institute for permission to re-use these maps.
- The following Ordnance Survey series have been digitised under an agreement that restricts the release of images for certain commercial purposes. Please contact us for permission to re-use these maps.
- Ordnance Survey, "ten mile" Planning Maps of the United Kingdom, 1944-1960
- Ordnance Survey, One-inch to the mile, 2nd edition (Outline), Scotland, 1885-1900
- Ordnance Survey, One-inch "popular" with National Grid, Scotland, 1945-1947
- Ordnance Survey, Seventh Series, Great Britain, 1952-1961
- Ordnance Survey, 1:25,000 maps of Great Britain, 1937-1961
- Ordnance Survey, Six-inch to the mile, England and Wales, 1842-1952
- Ordnance Survey, 25 inch to the mile, England and Wales, 1841-1952
- Ordnance Survey, National Grid maps of London and south-east England, 1940s-1960s
- Roy Military Survey of Scotland, 1747-55. This map is owned by the British Library, and their permission must be sought for any reproduction.
- Stevenson Collection. Please contact us for permission.
- Sutherland Collection. Please contact us for permission.