Blaeu Atlas of Scotland, 1654
|Name:||Blaeu, Joan, 1596-1673|
|Title:||Provinciae Edinburgenae descriptio|
|Zoom Into Map:||Click on the image to view in greater detail|
Scroll through pages:
Translation of text:
Description of the Province of Edinburgh.
The province of Edinburgh, commonly called Midlothian (which far excels the other provinces of this kingdom in civilisation and in the supply of the necessities of life) stretches in length from the Bushel Hill, which is a little farther east than the town of Musselburgh, more than twenty miles to the south-west, as far as Meduin Water, which runs along the west edge of Calder Muir and separates Edinburgh from Lanarkshire. Its width is very unequal: for where it faces north-east it is widest, viz. from the aforesaid hill, where it has East Lothian as its boundary, eight miles, while to the west at the mouth of the Almond it runs in width more or less sixteen miles, viz. from the Firth of Forth south to the prefecture of Tweeddale. But where it faces south-west and for thirteen miles tightens into a narrow face, it has the appearance of an almost equilateral triangle, except that to the south-west it does not contract precisely into an angle, but at the very end keeps a certain width, namely two miles. This province is bounded on the east partly by Haddington or East Lothian, from the Bushel Hill near the Firth of Forth south for thirteen miles; partly by the bailiery of Lauder, more than four miles; on the south by Peeblesshire from Bowland for thirteen miles almost to the northern boundaries of Dunsyre. Where it faces south-west by Lanarkshire for seven miles until it touches Meduin Water. On the west by the aforesaid Lanarkshire from the aforesaid Meduin Water to the Fauldhouse Hills, more than two miles. On the north-west by the prefecture of Linlithgow from the aforesaid Fauldhouse Hills to the mouth of the Almond where it enters the Forth, about fourteen miles, with the boundary displayed by the course of the same Almond, except that at Letham, Pumpherston, and East and West Howden for two miles the river leaves the boundary and makes its way inside Midlothian. Finally, where it faces north, by the Firth of Forth from the mouth of the Almond to the Bushel Hill at the boundary of East Lothian, more than eight miles. It is irrigated by six rivers, Almond, Water of Leith, both Esks (which before they reach the sea join into one course), Tyne and Gala. These flow into the Forth, partly from the Lammermuirs, partly from the Pentlands, prominent hills on the southern edge of the province; all too within the province, except the Tyne, which slips into the Forth near Tyninghame in East Lothian, and the Gala, which falls into the Tweed not far below Galashiels in Selkirkshire. The fount and source of the Almond is provided by the heads of the moor, at the farthest boundary of Clydesdale. Its course and descent