Timothy Pont's manuscript maps offer an astonishingly detailed picture of large parts of Renaissance Scotland. But their wealth of detail can make them difficult to interpret.
We therefore offer two routes to the maps:
- The General route takes you direct to a selected number of key locations on the maps.
- The Specialist route gives access to the full maps, with zoom, pan, and rotation facilities.
If you are not familiar with Pont's maps, choose the General option.
- 77 Maps survive, some covering huge areas, others only small parts of the country
- The maps are drawn on 38 fragile sheets of paper
- 12 sheets have maps on both sides
- Even on one side of a sheet two or more maps may appear side-by-side