Maps of Scotland
|Name:|| Pont, Timothy, 1560?-1614? |
|Title:|| [Pont's map of Elgin and northeast Moray] |
|Imprint:|| [ca. 1583-96]|
|Pagination:|| 1 manuscript map ; 16 x 24 cm.|
|Shelfmark:|| Adv.MS.70.2.10 (Gordon 23)|
|Notes:|| This map shows Elgin and its environs. The northern boundary is formed by the Moray Firth between Hopeman in the west and the River Spey, which was the eastern limit of Pont's contribution to this map. Inland the southern boundary encloses Ortann (Orton) on the Spey, and Hart Hill, south of Elgin. |
- This map was once believed to have been drawn by Robert Gordon (hence its title '[Gordon] 23'). It is now known to be the work of Timothy Pont, with the exception of the information to the east of the River Spey, which really is by Gordon. The over-writing seen on this map was also probably the work of Gordon.
- Of particular interest is the very clear drawing of the townscape of Elginn (Elgin) and the Loch of Spyny (Loch Spynie) just to the north. This map provides evidence that this loch, once an inlet of the sea, had already been landlocked by a sand bar by the time of Pont's visit. It was further drained during the 19th century. The fine Cast:[le] of Spyny was the residence of the Bishops of Moray until the Reformation.
- Small parts of this area are also to be found on Pont sheets 6(1), 8, and 9(1).
- The following manuscript maps by Robert Gordon also include parts of this area: 2, 3, 4, 5, 25, and 26.
- The printed map of Moravia by Joan Blaeu was compiled partly using information from this map and Pont 8. Other Blaeu maps which include parts of the area of [Gordon] 23 are: Extima Scotiae, and Aberdonia & Banfia.
View the Pont Maps website. View maps by Blaeu and Robert and James Gordon.
|Zoom Into Map: ||Click on the map to view in greater detail.|
Copyright Enquiries & Copies Help