(More specific references are given in the further info pages for some categories of mapping)
- Macleod, F (ed.), Togail Tir = Marking Time: the map of the Western Isles (Stornoway, 1989)
- Moore, J N, The Historical Cartography of Scotland, O'Dell Memorial Monograph 24 (Aberdeen, 1991)
- Royal Scottish Geographical Society, The Early Maps of Scotland to 1850, 3rd ed., vol.1 (Edinburgh, 1973)
- Royal Scottish Geographical Society, The Early Maps of Scotland to 1850, 3rd ed., vol.2 (Edinburgh, 1983)
- Wilkes, Margaret, The Scot and his Maps (Motherwell, 1991)
If you wish to read any of the items in this bibliography, ask your local library. If it doesn't have an item in stock, it may be able to obtain it through the inter-library loan system.