Blaeu Atlas of Scotland, 1654
|Name:||Blaeu, Joan, 1596-1673|
|Zoom Into Map:||Click on the image to view in greater detail|
Scroll through pages:
Translation of text:
ISLAY (Section Note)
The largest after Jura on the west is Islay, twenty four miles long, sixteen wide, stretching from south to north, producing cattle, crops, deer, and also lead. It has a river of fresh water called Laggan, likewise a gulf of sea water, in which there are various islands. Further a fresh-water loch, in which is an island called Finlaggan, once the palace of all the Islanders, in which the King of the Isles, having assumed the royal title, was accustomed to live.
Close to this but smaller is Eilean na Comhairle; its name was given intentionally. For on it was a court, in which fourteen of the nobles regularly declared justice, and also took counsel on matters of state; their great equity and moderation gave peace at home and abroad, and, the companion of peace, affluence in all things.
Between Islay and Jura is situated a small island named Cairn.
On the south side of Islay lie these islands in order: Hazel Island [?], Eilean Mhic Mhaolmhoire, Outram, Eilean Bhride, Corr Sgeir, Eilean Iosal, Eilean Imersay, Eilean Bethidh, Texa, Eilean nan Caorach, Eilean na Naosg [?], Eilean Rinard [?], Liath Eilean [?], Tarr Sgeir, Achnarra, Eilean Mor [?], Eilean Dealloch Dune [?], Eilean Ean [?], Stacbadis [?].
At the western corner of Islay is Orsay. There too the racing strait is impassable to ships except at certain times. Eilean Mhic Coinnich; and to the north west Usabrast [?], and Eilean an Tannais-sgeir, and Nave Island, and Eilean na Bany [?], and eight miles from Islay more to the north Oronsay, and close to it Eilean na Ghaoideamal, and half a mile from Oronsay is Colonsay.