Blaeu Atlas of Scotland, 1654
|Name:||Blaeu, Joan, 1596-1673|
|Title:||Provinciae Perthensis Nova Descriptio. Vicecomitatvs Aberdonia Et Bamfia|
|Zoom Into Map:||Click on the image to view in greater detail|
Scroll through pages:
Translation of text:
Not far from the same church the River Lednock flows into the Earn, bursting from a valley of the same name, 4 or 5 miles long. Near Comrie, on the east side, not far from the church of Crieff, the Water of Turret discharges into the Earn, rising from a loch of the same name, in the vernacular Loch Turret, more or less 4 miles long. Near Kinkell the Machany Water, 6 miles long, slips into the Earn. At the church of Forteviot the Water of May slips into the Earn, running from the Ochil Hills for 10 miles to the south-west. This province is irrigated by a famous and lovely river, which in the vernacular they call the Allan; it takes its origin from a mountain valley in the vernacular Glen Lochearn, and slips into the Forth above Stirling, one mile to the west; this river in its course cuts through the middle of the town of Dunblane. From the Lake of Menteith the Forth takes its origin, into which flows the Keltie[?], originating in Loch Venacher, near Doune Castle in Menteith (7). The lochs in this province are: Loch Rannoch 12 miles long, Loch Garry, Loch Tilt, these two lie between Badenoch, Rannoch and Atholl, and are of equal length, viz. each two miles long. Loch Laidon, lying between Glencoe and Rannoch, with a circumference of five miles. Loch Rannoch 7 miles in length, but one mile in breadth, in which there is an island. In Glen Lyon lie Loch Dhamh and Loch Girre, both of which are each a mile and a half in length. Loch Lyon, Loch Tay, Loch Dothan[?], each of which has its own islands and on them defences. Loch Earn, 7 miles in length, one mile in breadth. Loch Turret in Strathearn, Loch Lednock, Loch Venacher, Loch Tummel with an island, two Lochs at Clunie, two Lochs at Cardney. In Atholl are Loch Vid, Loch Eshny[?], Loch Skiach, Loch Kennart, Loch Glas, Loch Kinnardochy, Loch Derculich.
The whole of this province is firstly blessed with pastures and noted for fields of crops; in Gowrie especially fertile with the products of fruit trees; finally pleasant with the shade of trees and the beauty of rivers and lakes.
There were formerly two episcopal seats in this province, one Dunkeld, the other Dunblane; priories at Strathfillan and Inchmahome, and a monastery of the Carthusians in the city of Perth, also one of the monastic Sisters of Elcho.
The principal castles in this province are these: Blair Atholl, Weem, Balloch above the Tay, Garsinlarg[?], Meggernie in Glen Lyon, Comrie, Grandtully, Murthly, Moncure, Ardblair, Tower of Clunie, island on Loch Tay, island on Loch Dochart, Assintol[?], island on Loch Ronald[?], island on Loch Tummel, Loyr[?], Almond, Kilonrie[?], Gorthy[?], Monzie, Fordy[?], Aberuchil, Drimmaeny[?], Tullibardine Castle, Kincairney, Gleneagles, Duncrub, Dupplin, Invermay, Ecclessiamagirdle, Balmanno, Moncrieffe west and east, Elcho, Skellie[?], Rossie, Glendevon, Strowan, Kinsannia[?], Bathaica[?], House of Gask, Fingask, Kincardine, Megginch, Huntly, Forthaea[?], in Glen Isla Innerpeffray, Doune Castle in Menteith, Callander, Island of Menteith, Edinample, Cambusmore, Lanarc[?], Tulliallan, Blair Valleyfield[?], Glasclune, House of Rock[?], Bamff, Blairgowrie, Ruthven or Huntingtower, Balhousie, Inchture, Island of Martin[?], Auchterarder, Inchbrakie, Loch Earn with defence, Keir, Coldoch, Kilbryde and Duchry[?].
There are four presbyteries in this viscounty: Dunblane, Auchterarder, Perth and Dunkeld, in which there are 88 parish churches. There are bridges at the Earn, the Ruchill, Comrie, Ruthven, the Tilt in Atholl, the Allan, Rumbling Bridge over the Devon, Lothy[?], the Dochart, Arelace[?], the Machany and Dunblane.
Cities: Culross and Perth.
Burghs of Barony: Auchterarder, Dunblane, Dunkeld, Crieff, Abernethy, Doune, Alyth, and Errol.
together with Regions and areas of land comprised under them.
FROM CAMDEN (Section Note)
MEARNS (Section Note)
In these Regions at the time of Ptolemy lived the Vernicones, perhaps the same as the Vecturiones in Marcellinus. The name however has been totally lost, unless we imagine a trace of it survives in Mearns, for V in the course of speech quite often becomes M in the British language. This sub-region, the Mearns, facing the German Sea, lies on a quite level plain of fields with good soil. Now the most memorable place is Dunnottar, a castle set above on a harsh and inaccessible rock, from which it looks down on the sea, fortified with strong walls and towers running between; it has long belonged to the Keiths, from an old and most distinguished family, who led by courage have succeeded in becoming hereditary Earls Marischal of the Kingdom of Scotland and Sheriffs of this province. [See Buchanan on the war where the Keiths defeated the Danes, for from that they received the dignity of Marshal, which they have possessed from that time and still possess.]
Here in the entrance is to be seen that ancient inscription, which I have already mentioned, of the detachment of the Twentieth Legion, whose letters the most illustrious present Earl, a lover of antiquity, has had gilded. Further from the sea is situated Fordoun, which has some fame from John of Fordoun, who, a native of here, carefully compiled the Scotichronicon with great labour; to his study more recent historians of the Scots owe a great deal; but an older fame is from the remains of St Palladius, in this place once as is believed laid to rest – he was sent as apostle to the Scots by Pope Celestine in the year 431. [Paldykirk[?] holds a celebrated market for three days every year, where there is a large gathering of merchants mainly to buy cloths which they export to Belgium.]
MARRIA, MAR (Section Note)
From the sea in the inland parts above the Mearns, Mar runs spreading out for more or less sixty miles; where it is wider, towards the west, it swells up with mountains, except where the Rivers Dee (Ptolemy’s Diva) and Don open a path for themselves and fertilise the fields. On the bank of the Don is the great ornament of Kildrummy, the old seat of the Earls of Mar. Not far off is situated the dwelling of Baron Forbes, who, famous with the old splendour of the family, took this surname (since previously they were called Boyce), after the heir of the family had stoutly slaughtered a huge bear. But at its mouth is the greater ornament of two towns, which from the mouth, which in British is Aber, have borrowed one name, but are separated by the intervention of a small area of land: the one nearer is very well known for its episcopal status, which King David I tranferred here from the small town of Murthlac, for the lovely house of the Canons, for the guest house for the poor, and for the public school of good letters, which William Elphinstone, Bishop of the place, consecrated in the year 1480 for educating the youth; it is called Old Aberdeen. The other, farther away, New Aberdeen, is very celebrated for the catch of salmon. [The College of New Aberdeen was founded by the predecessors of the Earl Marischal, and he still presents the regents; and recently the very learned Thomas Reid founded there a Public Library, fitted out with many outstanding books, and gave a salary of £400 per annum for its upkeep. Dr Liddell, Doctor of Medicine, established the chair of Mathematics.] Now Aberdeen is depicted in these verses by J. Johnston, a native:
One stands out among the simultaneously born Dees.
A gentler Phoebus so tempers the cold winds
That you should not fear rabid summer nor frosts.
It is enriched with fecund waters by Neptune and rivers
Full of fish: with gems another increases wealth.
Upright mind, joyous forehead, cheerful, a land most pleasing
To guests; the cultivation of character is everywhere seemly.